Wednesday, May 28, 2008

la Republica Dominicana

This place is wild. Out at the camp where I sleep, I wake up to horses, cows, roosters; if it can make a noise, it gets me up at 6:30 AM. I ride my motorcycle down the unpaved roads of Bobita through La Caratacano past the small, electricity-less "homes." Now when I say "homes," think of a big walk in closet and that is about what I'm talking about. The "roads" here are treacherous. They are flooded with motorcycles and the people have no rules in terms of driving. It is unbelievable. It truly is incredible. I think the biggest thing that I have learned here so far has been the fact that I'm rich to the world's standards.

I think every person in America should visit a 3rd world nation. It would scare you into thinking twice about what we(Americans) spend our money on. People live here without running water and electricity, but at the same time, on the whole, seem more at peace with life than 90% of Americans. Money is not the root of happiness. People here develop relationships and value friendships more so than anything else. It is a beautifully rich culture in terms of valuing what is important in life. That is it for now, there is something to chew on. I miss you all, but I'm loving life.

5 comments:

itsthatboylee said...

don't wreck the motorcycle...."you gotta let off the gas to stop brah"

Anonymous said...

ehh! jacob, my boyfriend and i really enjoyed the movie hotel rwanda. i heard you are going down to south america to visit rwanda. eh, that's pretty dangerous. ju-j-j-ust b-be careful, lady say's hello and faye won't stop farting. the nursery is doing well, we average about one customer ever two weeks. hopefully you can come home for faye's christmas meatballs! see you in a year...

Anonymous said...

Are you ever coming home? I think that you might have 3rd World Country in your blood!

Anonymous said...

I love reading about your experience..i didn't even know little gene owned a computer..but it seems like he's keeping up with your journeys..we have such a great family :) !! I love you and miss you but I'm so happy that you are able to have this opportunity!!

Anonymous said...

it was great talking to you last night! you made my heart soar with the stories of serving! i love you, my son! you make me so proud!
mom